Tuesday, April 12, 2016

I need a new broker

My broker bought-in my shares in $GBSN today. At literally the worst time -- highs of the day. I suspect the spike was likely caused by my broker buying everyone in at the market at the same time.

I was so disgusted. When the spike happened it occurred to me that it might be a good spot to add even more to my short position (that is how bad $GBSN is... 100% conviction to be shorting near all time lows), but then I checked my position window and saw that my position was no longer there.

To make matters worse, I received an email from my broker that they bought me in like an hour ago. Gee, thanks. I could have used that email like 10 hours ago.

I'll be looking to move money over to either Cobra or Centerpoint eventually.


In other news, there's a sector move in oil stocks right now. Most names are getting ripped higher and that should persist for the next few days.

If you want to get long names, make sure it's in names that show relative volume for the day (and ideally news). Names like $CHK, $VALE, $SDRL, $BCEI, $DNR, etc. These should be good for the move, but tomorrow could bring additional high volume plays depending on news. The point is, you should check each stock's relative volume. I don't have the software I used at Opus, but you can determine the relative volume by just eyeballing the first 5 minute volume bar and comparing it to the first 5 minute volume bar in the previous days.

Some of these bankruptcy-risk oil stocks that are moving higher with the group will also be great shorts if they continue to go higher. My indicator for when to short them will be when $XME and $OIH are both gapped down pre-market. That should be a sell-off day, and I'll want to be short the crappiest companies that have ripped higher the most... $LINE, $LNCO, $UPL, $REXX, $NADL, etc. 

You could also short anything that has moved up a lot as well, so a lot of these longs can be shorted. But those will be 1-2 day positions and should not be held for long. When a stock changes its weekly trend and is exploding higher, you never know when buyers will step in.


No comments:

Post a Comment